Thursday 22 December 2011

Learning Experience @ Sengkang Floating Wetland

Water Testing Activity
We used a pail to collect some water from the lake. I observe the dirty and murky brown water and saw small black particles on its surface.  When temperature is higher, the amount of oxygen is lower. I analysis that the water is not suitable for drinking because it had bacteria.

What I have learnt in this outdoor classroom learning experience
I have learnt not to throw rubbish at the floating wetland as it is home to many plants and animals which need clean water to thrive.The floating wetland helps to clean up the water as well. It is also designed to use micro-organisms on the plant roots to help purify the water. From the notice board at Sengkang Floating Wetland, I have also learnt that a community of micro-organisms, called a biofilm, attaches itself to the root of the plants. It absorbed nitrates, phosphates, ammonia and other pollutants from the water, helping to improve the water quality. The floating wetland provides shade, shelter and food for all the living organisms. I think everyone must play a part in keepimg the wetland and water clean so everyone can all enjoy this beautiful waterscape. Hence, we have an active, beautiful and clean water known as ABC water.

Sharing of my photographs:

No comments:

Post a Comment